1357 Lela Lane – 3/12/12
March 12, 2012    POSTED IN  Home

It’s been another six weeks of construction on Lela! I’ll try to chronicle all of the progress over the last six weeks with photos here. These tend to be the most exciting times as drywall is done, painting is done and finishes are started. We are looking at a complete date of March 30th. Right around the corner!

I believe we left off at framing. Drywall was up next.

The ceilings were finished up and then the first coat of primer went over all the drywall. To start, we’re just choosing a base color and then an accent color that is darker. The primer was tinted light gray. The base color will be Bedford Gray (Martha Stewart) and the accent color will be Zinc (also Martha Stewart).

Next up – cabinets! This is always an exciting part of the construction process because you start to get an idea of how the living areas of the home will lay out. The kitchen cabinets are actually a subtle gray. They all have soft close drawers and doors which is a very cool features, especially with little ones around!

These are the master bathroom cabinets (with one of our helpers).

As the trim carpenters were finishing up on cabinets, they moved onto trim.

These doors are solid core, which really help with noise reduction. The three panel look reminds me of a Cape Cod/Bungalow home we owned that was built in the 1940’s.

Up next were windows. This is the same trim as we had in an old farmhouse we used to own. We loved the look of the bigger piece on top with side pieces. We added a sill too. The baseboard is not down in this photo, but we used a higher profile for the main floor and shorter for the upstairs. This is an easy way to save a little money, without sacrificing much. Put your money where you can see it!

The sliding doors for the closets are in the same profile.

Next, the trim carpenters worked on the stairs.

And, finally, the beams in the main living area and the balcony. The beams will be covered later with hand-hewn white pine once it is stained.

These are the corbels that will be used on the fireplaces and the balcony.

Next, our painter stained all of the special wood we had brought in from a guy in Knightstown. Tom went over and gave him dimensions of all the areas we needed and the guy custom made pieces to fit in each. I loved this idea because he could make the wood look old but it wouldn’t have any of the implications of actually being old. (Rotting, bugs, etc.)

This piece actually became one of the headers.

 

And, one of the fireplace mantles.

At last, all of the woodwork was stained and installed. I think we achieved a wonderful, rustic look, while keeping it modern.

I think this is the coolest area of all. This is the dining nook. We decided right after it was framed, that we would leave this portion of the ceiling slanted and add paneling for a unique space. It turned out so much cooler than we could have ever imagined.

Lights were up next.

All lit up at night!

Stone was started, and finished, last week. They started outside, since they had nice weather.

And, then they moved inside.

I didn’t get over there fast enough to see the wood floor before it was covered back up with protective cardboard. Tom snuck in a photo though.

Just this weekend, the flooring guys were working on tile. We decided to go with a river rock base in the master shower. Here, they have started prepping for it.

This is the river rock we selected.

Finally, Tom got a photo of the outside without the dumpster. It still needs a coat of paint, but it does look very similar to the very first rendering.

 

Really, we only have about two weeks left for the big changes. The final week before occupancy is for touch ups and cleaning. So, the next two weeks will bring more tile, finishing up the deck, carpet, countertops, appliances, concrete, paint and a few other finishing touches!